Patrick DuxburyPartner, Intellectual Property at Gowling WLG (UK) LLP
Patrick Duxbury is Partner and Head, Life Sciences Team, Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co LLP and head of their Life Sciences Team. Patrick was originally a microbiologist and geneticist before requalifying as a lawyer in 1993 with first class honours. Patrick specializes in all aspects of transactional intellectual property law in the life sciences sector. Recent transactions include several M&A transactions and licensing and collaboration deals for biotech and pharmaceutical company clients such as arGEN-X, AstraZeneca, Astellas, MedImmune, Astex Therapeutics, Chroma Therapeutics, Eisai, GSK, Heptares Therapeutics, PanGenetics and others. Examples of transactions include:
- Acting for Cambridge Antibody Technology Group (and now MedImmune) over the last ten years on numerous license and collaboration deals including transactions with Amgen, Dyax, Micromet, Wyeth and Merck. Patrick was involved in advising MedImmune on the restructuring of its TGF Beta antibody collaboration with Genzyme and its deals with Xenome, Evotec, Amgen and Catalyst BioSciences Inc. Most recently he acted for MedImmune on their widely publicized in-license of the Phase III antibody, Tremelimumab, from Pfizer and their five antibody product deal with Amgen (one of the biggest deals of 2012).
- Acting for Astex Therapeutics on all of its significant transactions including its widely publicised license and collaboration deals with AstraZeneca, Novartis, J&J and GSK and its recent merger with SuperGen Inc.
- Acting for the Japanese pharmaceutical company Eisai on its acquisition of the European rights to the intrathecal painkiller, Prialt, from Elan and the license of the European rights to NeuroBloc® from Solstice Neurosciences Inc.
- Advising PanGenetics BV in connection with the USD 190 million disposal of its PG110 antibody program to Abbott and Chroma Therapeutics on its USD 1 billion collaboration with GSK.
- Patrick advised Astellas on its Phase III product in-license from Basilea Pharmaceuticals.
- Acting for GSK on the creation of Convergence Pharmaceuticals and Autifony Therapeutics (both funded by SV Life Sciences) and most recently Nerre Therapeutics. He has also recently advised GSK on the restructuring of a complex co-promotion deal.
- Patrick acts for a range of medical research institutions such as the Medical Research Council.
- He has advised in relation to fundraisings by Domantis and Chroma Therapeutics, the MBO by Close Brothers Private Equity of Rosemont Pharmaceuticals, the establishment of Sonkei Pharmaceuticals Inc by Index Ventures and Abingworth's investment in Stanmore Implants.
- Advising GSK on its EUR 400 million in-license from MorphoSys AG.
- Patrick advised arGEN-X on its deals with Lilly, Biowa and Shire and Chroma Therapeutics on its out-license of novel cancer drug Tosedostat to CTI.
- Patrick recently advised Kyowa Hakko Kirin subsidiary, Strakan Pharmaceuticals, on its out-license of the North American rights for Rectiv® to Aptalis and the renegotiation of its co promotion deal with Orexo for Abstral®. He also advised ProStrakan on its EUR 230 million acquisition of Archimedes provisions.
- Patrick has advised Heptares Therapeutics on all of its collaborations including those with Shire, Takeda and most recently MorphoSys and Cubist Pharmaceuticals.
- Patrick is a recent member of the Intellectual Property Committee of the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry and the Legal Expert Network of the ABPI. He is a regular speaker on life science topics (including for C5, Management Forum, The Chartered Institute of Patent Agents, Praxis/Unico) and teaches on both the European and US BIO Advanced Business Development courses.
- Patrick is recognized in all the directories as a leading individual in the field of technology licensing. Intellectual Asset Management 250 describe him as "without doubt an outstanding expert and a leading practitioner in his field," leading a "24 carat" life sciences team. The 2014/2015 edition of Chambers & Partners ranks Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co LLP as one of the top tier firms for life sciences work and Patrick is ranked as the number one lawyer for life science transactional work in the UK.